History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waddington Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Waddington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8897 / 53°53'22"N

Longitude: -2.4133 / 2°24'47"W

OS Eastings: 372932

OS Northings: 443803

OS Grid: SD729438

Mapcode National: GBR CRLG.BD

Mapcode Global: WH969.WHZF

Entry Name: Waddington Hall

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362302

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183288

Location: Waddington, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Waddington

Built-Up Area: Waddington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Waddington St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Waddington

Listing Text

WADDINGTON CLITHEROE ROAD
SD 74 SW

10/116 Waddington Hall
16.11.1954
GV II

House, possibly early C17th, rebuilt c.1900. Sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof. H-plan. At the west the cross-wings project forward to
form a courtyard. Both have gables with copings and the 3 walls facing
the courtyard are topped by a balustrade with square balusters. The
right-hand cross-wing has buttresses. On the ground floor is a 2-light
mullioned window with inner hollow chamfer and outer chamfer. On the
1st floor is an early C18th cross window with an inner chamfer and an
outer cyma-moulded surround. Above is a 2-light mullioned attic window
of c,1900. All the windows of the left-hand cross-wing appear to be
of c.1900. On the ground floor is a 5-light mullioned window with
Tudor-arched heads to the lights. On the flat floor is a 10-light mullioned
and transomed window. The attic has a 2-light mullioned window. The
central section has a 2-light mullioned window with inner ovolo and outer
rebate. To its right is a one-light window with moulded surround. On
the 1st floor are 2 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, re-tooled
and with cinquefoiled ogee heads to the lights. These are probably re-used
from elsewhere. Across the angle with the right-hand cross-wing is a
moulded doorway with Tudor-arched head. Above is a carved coat of arms
under a shaped coping. At the rear all the windows appear to be of c.1900,
in keeping. The south cross-wing has a 2-storey canted bay window. The
south wall of this cross-wing has a C17th mullioned window of 4 lights with
inner ovolo and outer chamfer. Interior not fully inspected, but rear of
hall has wooden doorway with ogee head, probably C17th.


Listing NGR: SD7293243803

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.