History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trustee Savings Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirkham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7823 / 53°46'56"N

Longitude: -2.8742 / 2°52'27"W

OS Eastings: 342495

OS Northings: 432132

OS Grid: SD424321

Mapcode National: GBR 8SCP.KW

Mapcode Global: WH85J.T6J7

Entry Name: Trustee Savings Bank

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183599

Location: Kirkham, Fylde, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

Civil Parish: Kirkham

Built-Up Area: Kirkham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Kirkham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkham

Listing Text

KIRKHAM POULTON STREET
SD 43 SW
9/29 Trustee Savings Bank
-
- II

Former girls' charity school, now banking hall, 1860. Brick (in Flemish
bond) with sand-stone dressings, axial stacks and coped gables. Gothic
Revival. Single storey schoolroom to left of front door and (?)
school-mistress' house to right, with broad archway for passage to
back garden at far right. Doorway has a two-centre arch under a hoodmould
and a glazed tympanum divided into three by mullions. Central bay between
buttresses has to left of door a 7-light window with steeply pointed cusped
lights under a continuous hoodmould. Left-hand bay has a similar window of
2-lights. Mistress' house has a gable and a gabled dormer to the window
above the side arch. The gable facade has, on the ground floor, 2 lancets
with hoodmoulds, between which stands an engaged semi-octagonal pier which
carries a semi-circular stone first-floor oriel with 3 lights similar to
those in the school room. History: Built at the expense of
Thomas Langton Birley of Carr Hill for the girls' charity school, founded
in 1760 on another site.


Listing NGR: SD4249532132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.