History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Copster Hall Farmhouse and Stable Adjoining to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Salesbury, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8033 / 53°48'12"N

Longitude: -2.4919 / 2°29'30"W

OS Eastings: 367701

OS Northings: 434228

OS Grid: SD677342

Mapcode National: GBR CS1G.9B

Mapcode Global: WH96N.PNLN

Entry Name: Copster Hall Farmhouse and Stable Adjoining to South

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183532

Location: Salesbury, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB1

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Salesbury

Built-Up Area: Copster Green

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Salesbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Ribchester

Listing Text

SALESBURY
SD 63 SE
5/47 Copster Hall Farmhouse and stable
- adjoining to south

- II

House, with southern end now used as stable, 1615, altered probably late
C19. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys, with plinth. House of 2
bays. Ground-floor windows modern with plain stone surrounds. 1st floor
windows of 6 lights with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms, and outer
chamfer. At the left a sashed window with no glazing bars and plain
reveals lights the stable loft. The door, between bays under a glazed
porch, has a Cl9 chamfered stone surround with a re-tooled Tudor-arched
lintel inscribed: '1615'. Chimneys to each side of house. The right-hand
gable wall has 2 double-chamfered cellar windows, partly blocked, of 2 and
3 lights. A projection from the rear wall of the stable, under a catslide
roof, appears to be a truncated chimney stack. The left-hand gable wall
has a lower ground level. A stable door with plain stone surround cuts
through a blocked original window within the plinth. Above it is a
pitching hole with plain stone surround, within a blocked window with
hood. Inside, the house has 3 C17 panelled doors on the 1st floor and some
re-used C17 panelling on the ground floor. Inside the stable the top of a
blocked segmental-arched fireplace can be seen in the rear wall, below the
present ground level. Above on theist floor is a chamfered fireplace with
Tudor-arched head. The roof appears to have a Cl9 king-post truss.


Listing NGR: SD6770134228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.