History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bispham Parish Church (All Hallows)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ingthorpe, Blackpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.857 / 53°51'25"N

Longitude: -3.0368 / 3°2'12"W

OS Eastings: 331902

OS Northings: 440578

OS Grid: SD319405

Mapcode National: GBR ZNB.BB

Mapcode Global: WH852.BB41

Entry Name: Bispham Parish Church (All Hallows)

Listing Date: 20 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183657

Location: Blackpool, FY2

County: Blackpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Ingthorpe

Built-Up Area: Blackpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bispham All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bispham

Listing Text

SD 34 SW BLACKPOOL ALL HALLOWS ROAD, BISPHAM

1/1 Bispham Parish Church (All Hallows)

II


Church, 1883, by John Lowe of Manchester: third building on the site of
the original church of the parish of Bispham, until 1821 the only church
in Blackpool; incorporates fragments of early C12th masonry. Stone with
slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, in minimally Early English style.
Tower with angle-buttresses, squinch-set stair turret on north side, 3
belfry louvres on east side parapet and pinnacles. Nave of 5 bays,
buttressed, a gabled porch to the west bay, and one pair of single-light
cusped windows in each of the other bays. Chancel with transepts, the
northern one very short; each has 2 pairs of similar windows, and a round
trefoil window in the gable. Triple light east window. South doorway is
1883 restoration of Norman original, incorporating fragments of original
masonry: principally, 2 pairs of scalloped capitals on each side, and an
uncertain number of chevron-patterned voussoirs in the outer band; middle
band of raised chevrons with carved signs of the zodiac is Victorian
interpretation of signs said to have been found carved upon originals
when whitewash was removed (VCH Vol. 7 p. 244). Interior: king-post
roof on arched braces rising from wall posts supported by stone corbels;
ground floor of tower wall incorporates an ancient piscina hewn from a
square block, a round arch with hollowed spandrels above it; north transept
has painted wooden Commandment Table on west wall.


Listing NGR: SD3190240578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.