History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clifton Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Talbot, Blackpool

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8186 / 53°49'6"N

Longitude: -3.0555 / 3°3'19"W

OS Eastings: 330609

OS Northings: 436327

OS Grid: SD306363

Mapcode National: GBR ZJN.CC

Mapcode Global: WH858.189Y

Entry Name: Clifton Hotel

Listing Date: 31 October 1974

Last Amended: 20 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362393

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183681

Location: Blackpool, FY1

County: Blackpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Talbot

Built-Up Area: Blackpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Blackpool St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Blackpool

Listing Text

SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL TALBOT SQUARE

2/24 Clifton Hotel
31.10.1974 (formerly listed under Promenade)

II

Hotel, 1865-74. Brick with stone dressings, stone quoins and string
courses, now stuccoed and rendered, slate roofs. Now fills 3-sided site
having first extended (1865) and then replaced (1874) original Clifton
Arms Hotel on corner of Talbot Square and Promenade. North front of 1865
5 bays, the middle 3 symmetrical, extended on west by addition of 2 wider
bays; 4 storeys; 3rd and 5th bays canted to full height, 7th and 8th bays
canted to 1st floor level. Ground floor of rusticated stucco now has
large balustraded pavilion extension in front of first 5 bays, with arched
windows; porch in Tuscan order to entrance in 6th bay. 1st and 2nd floors
have segmental-headed sashed windows with stilted architraves; 3rd floor
has round-headed sashed windows. Bracketed eaves cornice, hipped roofs.
West return wall has two 2-storey canted bays with balustrades, and stepped-
out extension 4 windows wide. Interior has staircase with carved balustrades,
and richly ornamented dining room.


Listing NGR: SD3060936327

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.