History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Meeting Hall (Former Free Grammar School)

A Grade II Listed Building in Bolton-le-Sands, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1033 / 54°6'11"N

Longitude: -2.7917 / 2°47'30"W

OS Eastings: 348327

OS Northings: 467775

OS Grid: SD483677

Mapcode National: GBR 8NYZ.DV

Mapcode Global: WH841.24W6

Entry Name: Meeting Hall (Former Free Grammar School)

Listing Date: 7 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181795

Location: Bolton-le-Sands, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Bolton-le-Sands

Built-Up Area: Bolton-le-Sands

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Sands Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Carnforth

Listing Text

SD 48 67 BOLTON-LE-SANDS ST. MICHAEL'S LANE

13/29 Meeting Hall
(Former Free Grammar School)

II

School. 1637 and 1857. 1637 range to rear is of slobbered cobbles and
limestone with sandstone dressings and stone slate roof. 1857 wing running
north towards road is of squared punched sandstone on its gable and east
walls. One storey. South wall of school has a large window framed by
sections of C17th rebated and chamfered surround. East gable wall has
C19th mullioned and transomed window. West gable has: chimney with
weathered offset, moulded string and cornice; a blocked one-light
chamfered window surround; a blocked 2-light rebated and chamfered window
under the eaves. Only the east end of the front wall of the original
school remains, with a plain chamfered surround with date '1637' in raised
letters in a sunken panel in the lintel. C19th wing has a mullioned and
transomed window with hood mould in its gable, with date '1857' on panel
above and a one-light window under the apex. Bellcote with bell on top
of the gable. East wall has chimney corbelled out.


Listing NGR: SD4832767775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.