This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1716 / 54°10'17"N
Longitude: -2.8238 / 2°49'25"W
OS Eastings: 346321
OS Northings: 475401
OS Grid: SD463754
Mapcode National: GBR 8NQ6.GC
Mapcode Global: WH83M.LDKV
Entry Name: Church of St. John
Listing Date: 2 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181946
Location: Silverdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5
Civil Parish: Silverdale
Built-Up Area: Silverdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Silverdale St John
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 47 NE SILVERDALE EMESGATE LANE
1/181 Church of St. John
2. 5. 1968
Church, 1885-6, by Ball and Elce. Squared limestone with sandstone
dressings, sandstone interior and red tile roof. Comprises a west tower,
nave with clearstorey, aisles, north porch, transepts and lower chancel.
3-stage tower has angle buttresses, a battlemented parapet with corner
gargoyles and a deeply moulded west door. Above the door is a 3-light
window with reticulated tracery. Each face has 2 2-light bell openings
with traceried heads. The east window has reticulated tracery.
Interior - Nave has 4 bays with compound piers and arcades with pointed
arches of 2 chamfered orders. Chancel arch and wide tower arch have.
compound responds. The interior is unusual for the high quality of stone
carving, including a statue of St. John in a niche in the tower wall,
roof corbels carved as angels, and historiated capitals to the piers.
These latter form a complete series of illustrations to the Book of
Revelation, e.g. four angels holding the four winds of the earth; seven
angels with seven trumpets; four and twenty elders with crowns of gold;
the four horsemen of the apocalypse. The chancel has triple sedilia with
cusped heads. The nave roof has arch-braced collars, with a barrel roof
to the chancel. Late C19th glass in the clearstorey and east window.
Font dated 1886, decorated with foliage, tracery and shafts.
Listing NGR: SD4632175401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings