This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0366 / 54°2'11"N
Longitude: -2.7377 / 2°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 351784
OS Northings: 460317
OS Grid: SD517603
Mapcode National: GBR 9PBR.3R
Mapcode Global: WH847.XSJV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182222
Location: Quernmore, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Quernmore
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
SD 56 SW QUERNMORE
5/158 Church of St. Peter
Church, 1860, by Paley. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a nave,
a north aisle under a pitched roof, north porch, and lower chancel. The
3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, and a solid
parapet carried on a corbel table and pierced by lancet openings. On the
north side is an octagonal turret rising above the level of the parapet. The
bell openings are of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head, with angle
shafts and hoods. The second stage has trefoiled single lights on each side.
Below is a west window with pointed head and two trefoiled lights. The 3
south nave windows are of similar type and are separated by buttresses. The
east window is of 3 lights, with Geometric tracery. At the east end of the
north aisle is a wheel window. To the east of the porch on the north side are
2 aisle windows similar to those to the nave. The outer porch doorway has
shafts with foliated capitals. The inner order of the arch has a head with
large cusps. The interior is of local brick with sandstone dressings. The
3-bay arcade has moulded pointed arches on piers of 4 clustered columns and
with foliated capitals. The high moulded tower arch has ball flower
decoration. The moulded chancel arch has responds of 3 clustered shafts. The
open timber roof has arch-braced collars, king posts, and cusped windbraces.
Some of the timbers are carved with nailhead ornament. East window 1867 by
Messrs. Powell of Whitefriars. 2 south windows, of 1880 and 1890, by Shrigley
and Hunt. Tower window 1874 by F. Burrow.
Listing NGR: SD5178460317
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings