History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Langthwaite Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining West

A Grade II Listed Building in Scotforth, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0273 / 54°1'38"N

Longitude: -2.763 / 2°45'46"W

OS Eastings: 350117

OS Northings: 459306

OS Grid: SD501593

Mapcode National: GBR 9P4W.M2

Mapcode Global: WH84F.J1JD

Entry Name: Lower Langthwaite Farmhouse and Barn Adjoining West

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Last Amended: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182253

Location: Scotforth, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Scotforth

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text

SD 55 NW SCOTFORTH

9/188 Lower Langthwaite Farmhouse and
barn adjoining west (formerly
listed as Lower Langthwaite
(farm cottage) and Outbuildings
attached to Lower Longthwaite
2-5-1968 (farm cottage) under
General)

- II

House , 1741. Slobbered rubble with corrugated iron roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Original windows have flush chamfered mullions. On the ground floor the
left-hand bay has one of 3 lights and the middle bay one of two lights. On
the 1st floor these bays have windows formerly of 2 lights, with mullions
removed. The right-hand bay, of the same build but probably a converted farm
building, has windows with plain reveals and a door to the left of the
ground-floor window, having a segmental arch to a blocked wide doorway above
both. Between bays one and 2 is a porch with a door in its left-hand return
wall. Above the porch is a oval plaque inscribed: 'TAA 1741'. Chimneys on
left-hand gable and to right of middle bay. Re-set over a blocked doorway in
the rear wall is a datestone of unusual design. It is inscribed 'TE AD 1639'
and has carved representations of a man with a staff, animals, and a tree,
perhaps a hunting scene. The barn to the right of the house has, in its front
wall, a wide doorway with plain reveals and sliding door. To its left is a
narrower doorway with plain reveals.


Listing NGR: SD5011759306

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.