History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poole House

A Grade II Listed Building in Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1418 / 54°8'30"N

Longitude: -2.6371 / 2°38'13"W

OS Eastings: 358477

OS Northings: 471958

OS Grid: SD584719

Mapcode National: GBR BN0K.W1

Mapcode Global: WH951.G5G5

Entry Name: Poole House

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182321

Location: Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Arkholme-with-Cawood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Arkholme

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Arkholme

Listing Text

ARKHOLME-WITH-CAWOOD MAIN STREET (south side)
SD 57 SE
4/27 Poole House (formerly listed as
4-10-1967 Poole House and Poole Cottage)

GV II

House, 1674, with C19th alterations and extensions in keeping. Sandstone
rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys. Windows rebated and chamfered with
mullions and with drip courses over each storey. On the 1st floor of the
original part of the house are 3 of 2 lights, with one of 3 lights at the
left. On the ground floor are 2 of 2 lights, with a 2-light flush
chamfered mullioned window, probably C19th, at the left. To its left a
fire window has been removed. There is other evidence of rebuilding which
suggests that the fenestration may have been re-arranged. To the right of
the left-hand window is a door with architrave and a lintel carved with
rosettes, antlers, and 'ICE [John and Esther Cort] 1674'. The lintel may
have been partly re-cut. Between the 2 other windows on the ground floor
is a door with plain reveals. At the left is a 2-bay extension which has
2-light windows on the 1st floor similar to those to the main house and
2-light flush chamfered mullioned windows on the ground floor. Between
bays is a door with plain reveals. Above is a plaque inscribed: 'FPP
1860.' Chimneys on gables, the right-hand one with projecting stack,
between main house and extension, and to right of main house door. All
have diagonally-set square caps. The left-hand return wall has a wide
coach house entrance with segmental arch. Interior has a shouldered
fireplace of C18th type, a firehood bressumer, spice cupboard, and a stair
in the rear wing with turned balusters.


Listing NGR: SD5847771958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.