This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9794 / 53°58'45"N
Longitude: -2.7018 / 2°42'6"W
OS Eastings: 354070
OS Northings: 453933
OS Grid: SD540539
Mapcode National: GBR 9QKF.V7
Mapcode Global: WH84N.G7NN
Entry Name: Caw Mill
Listing Date: 24 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182541
Location: Over Wyresdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Over Wyresdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Over Wyresdale Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
11/5 Caw Mill
Former water-powered corn mill, now used to house cattle. Possibly early
C18th. Sandstone rubble with roof of stone slate and slate. Built on slope
and of 2 storeys at southern end and one at north. East wall has, at left
at the lower level, a wheel opening with plain reveals with the wooden
wheel visible within. Above is a blocked door with plain reveals. To the
right, at the level of the 1st floor, is a blocked rebated and chamfered
window surround, formerly of 2 lights. Further right the ground level is
hiqher. Further right are 2 adjacent blocked wide entrances with timber
lintels, the left-hand one containing a pitching hole. One of the stones
of the pier between them is roughly inscribed: 'AR 1750' and 'IF 1725'.
Further right is a plain stone window surround. At the right is a door
whose right-hand jamb is chamfered. The southern gable wall has a lower
opening with plain reveals. Above is a blocked chamfered window of C18th
type, with central mullion removed. Interior has hardwood trusses with
collars and tie beams, although the tie beams have been removed from some
of the trusses at the north end. At the southern end the upper floor has
mostly been removed.
Listing NGR: SD5407053933
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings