History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High House

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1819 / 54°10'54"N

Longitude: -2.62 / 2°37'11"W

OS Eastings: 359635

OS Northings: 476414

OS Grid: SD596764

Mapcode National: GBR BN42.LN

Mapcode Global: WH94V.Q4LX

Entry Name: High House

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182496

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON
SD 57 NE

1/196 High House
4-10-1967

GV II

House, late C17th, restored early 1980s. Pebbledashed rubble with tile
roof. T-plan. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Windows rebated and chamfered with
mullions: those on the 1st floor are modern copies in concrete. To the
left of the porch is one of 2 lights. To the right is one of 4 lights with
hood. The 1st floor windows are of 4 and 3 lights with hoods. At the left
is one of one light. The single-storey porch has a parapet with coping.
The outer doorway appears to be C19th and has a Tudor-arched head. Above
it is a re-set shield carved with a cross. The inner doorway has a moulded
surround with Tudor-arched head. Gable chimneys, the right-hand one with
projecting stack. Both have round caps. The left-hand (north) wall of the
rear wing has 2 drip courses. On the ground floor is a 3-light window and
a blocked door with plain reveals. On the first floor are windows of 3 and
2 lights. The south wall of the wing also has mullioned windows and 2 drip
courses. The gable wall of the wing has a 2-light window on each floor and
a projecting stack with round cap. On the lst floor there is a one-light
window on the north side, lighting a closet incorporated in the stack.
Inside, the 1st floor room of the rear wing has a moulded fireplace with
triangular head, inscribed: 'RII ANO. DOM. 1660', and cyma-moulded mantel.


Listing NGR: SD5963576414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.