History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whittington Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1804 / 54°10'49"N

Longitude: -2.62 / 2°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 359629

OS Northings: 476250

OS Grid: SD596762

Mapcode National: GBR BN43.K5

Mapcode Global: WH94V.Q6K1

Entry Name: Whittington Hall

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182501

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

SD 57 NE
1/201

WHITTINGTON
Whittington Hall

4-10-1967

GV
II*
Country house, 1831-36 by George Webster, on site of earlier house.
Sandstone rubble with slate roof. South facade is a symmetrical
composition in a Jacobethan style 2 storeys with attics. Windows
mullioned and transomed. On each side of the central porch is a 6-light
ground-floor window with a cross window above. To each side 2 bays project
forwards. The inner ones have 2-storey canted bay windows with embattled
parapets. Above them, under a gable, is a stepped mullioned window. The
outer bays are set back slightly and have cross windows on the ground and
first floors and 2-light mullioned attic windows beneath smaller gables.
The porch has octagonal corner turrets, a 6-light first floor window
projecting as an oriel, and a stepped mullioned attic window under a
gable. The door has a moulded Tudor-arched surround with a plaque over
carved with a shield of arms. Above each storey there is a string course.
The gables have copings with ball finials. To the left of the porch a
tower is visible towards the rear of the building, of 3 storeys with an
embattled parapet and an octagonal corner turret. The east facade has a
single-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway between the gable of the
front range and a second gabled projection. Set back to the right are 3
bays which are said to incorporate masonry from an earlier house. On the
east and south sides there is a raised terrace, with 2 pairs of gatepiers
and steps on the east side. On the south side the retaining wall contains
the carriage entrance to the house, at cellar level, which has a splayed
Tudor-arched surround. Inside, this doorway opens into a panelled lower
hallway which has twin curved flights of stairs leading to the upper hall.
The latter room has a fireplace said to be c.1500. The drawing room and
dining room were remodelled in a Georgian style in the 1930s.
One of the better houses in the Jacobethan style by Webster, who was a
pioneer in its use. Copeland, B.M., Whittinqton, the Story of a Country
Estate, Maney & Son, 1981.


Listing NGR: SD5962976250

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.