History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Birks Farmhouse and Barns Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Wray-with-Botton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0958 / 54°5'44"N

Longitude: -2.5652 / 2°33'54"W

OS Eastings: 363134

OS Northings: 466798

OS Grid: SD631667

Mapcode National: GBR BPJ2.FJ

Mapcode Global: WH958.K9PZ

Entry Name: Birks Farmhouse and Barns Adjoining

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182653

Location: Wray-with-Botton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Wray-with-Botton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wray Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Wennington

Listing Text

SD 66 NW WRAY-WITH-BOTTON

2/117 Birks Farmhouse and barns adjoining
4-10-1967
- II

House, probaby 1667 with earlier remains and C19th alterations, with barns
probably C18th. Sandstone rubble with roofs of stone slate and slate. 2
storeys, with 3-storey gabled porch. To the right of the porch is a
2-light window with plain stone surround, flat-faced mullion, and drip
course over. On the 1st floor is a 3-light rebated and chamfered mullioned
window. A door to the left of the ground-floor window has plain reveals.
To the left of the porch is a block which appears to be C19th with C17th
remains. Large foundation stones projecting beyond it to the left suggest
a series of rebuildings on the site. It has flush chamfered mullioned
windows and flat-faced hood moulds. On the ground floor is one of 3
lights, with 2 of 2 lights above. To the right is a re-set cyma-moulded
door surround with battlemented lintel inscribed: '1680 WTE'. The porch is
of one bay and has 1st and 2nd floor windows of 2 lights, rebated and
chamfered with mullions and with cyma-moulded hoods treated as open
pediments. Above the ground floor is a drip course. The door, now blocked
and containing a window, has a moulded surround and a decorated lintel
inscribed: '1667 IT'. The porch gable has a cyma-moulded coping with
kneelers. Its right-hand return wall has a 3-light rebated and chamfered
1st floor window with hood. Above is an oval opening with cable-moulded
stone surround. The house has gable chimneys. Adjoining to the right are
farm buildings, their left-hand part now converted to form part of the
house. A wide entrance has a chamfered surround with segmental arch and is
now qlazed and contains a door. Further right is a door with chamfered
surround, with an opening with plain reveals to its left. Further right is
a 2-light chamfered mullioned window with one light blocked. On the 1st
floor is a one-light chamfered window, with a shuttered opening to the
right. Projecting forwards at right angles to the right is a barn whose
front wall has breathers. To the right is a lean-to whose front wall has a
wide entrance with plain reveals.


Listing NGR: SD6313466798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.