History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summersgill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wray-with-Botton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0649 / 54°3'53"N

Longitude: -2.5489 / 2°32'55"W

OS Eastings: 364174

OS Northings: 463351

OS Grid: SD641633

Mapcode National: GBR BPMF.ZM

Mapcode Global: WH95G.T3F4

Entry Name: Summersgill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362578

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182666

Location: Wray-with-Botton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Wray-with-Botton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wray Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
High Bentham

Listing Text

SD 66 SW WRAY-WITH-BOTTON

5/130 Summersgill Farmhouse
4-10-1967
- II

House, late C17th. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. 2 storeys.
North wall has single-storey extension, probably C19th, extending forwards
at left. To its right is a 3-light window with flat-faced mullions. At the
left on the 1st floor is a 3-Light rebated and chamfered mullioned window. To its right is a window with rebated and chamfered surround. The present
entrance is into the extension, in the angle with the main house and
covered by a modern timber porch. It has a re-set moulded surround with
segmental head inscribed: 'RA 1672 IR'. The right-hand gable wall has a
projecting stack with offsets. The left-hand gable has a drip course over
the 2 3-light ground-floor windows which have rebated surrounds and
channelled flat-faced mullions. On the 1st floor are 2 3-light rebated and
chamfered mullioned windows under a hood. Above is a similar 2-light
blocked attic window. Inside, above the door from the extension into the
main house, is a a plaque shaped like an inverted heart. It is inscribed:
'RRE 1725'. At the rear of the original house is a spiral stone stair, the
treads now covered with timber. The right-hand room has an exposed
chamfered main ceiling joist.


Listing NGR: SD6417463351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.