History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ortner House, with Flanking Walls and Shed Attached to South West

A Grade II Listed Building in Over Wyresdale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9841 / 53°59'2"N

Longitude: -2.7139 / 2°42'49"W

OS Eastings: 353284

OS Northings: 454458

OS Grid: SD532544

Mapcode National: GBR 9QHC.7K

Mapcode Global: WH84N.84X2

Entry Name: Ortner House, with Flanking Walls and Shed Attached to South West

Listing Date: 2 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362580

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182568

Location: Over Wyresdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Over Wyresdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Over Wyresdale Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Shireshead

Listing Text

SD 55 SW OVER WYRESDALE

11/32 Ortner House, with flanking walls
2-5-1968 and shed attached to south-west

- II

House, 1769. Stuccoed rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof.
Double-depth plan. A symmetrical composition of 2 storeys and 3 bays, with
chamfered quoins. Windows have architraves and are sashed with glazing
bars. Door, in central bay, has Doric porch with triglyph frieze and
'1769' inscribed within moulded pediment. The sides of the porch have been
filled in and an outer door added. Gable chimneys. The right-hand gable
wall has a lintel inscribed '1651' re-set over a cellar window. To each
side of the facade are rubble garden walls. The left hand one forms one
wall of a slate-roofed shed, which appears to be C19th. Its opposite wall,
facing north-west, has a wide entrance with stone lintel. The gable wall
facing the house has a re-used chamfered doorway and a re-set plaque. This
is inscribed: 'THOMAS DRINKELL AND MARYE HIS WIF SET US HERE ONE THOUSAND
SIX HUNDRED SIXTY SECOND YEARE WHOEVER LOOKS UPON THIS THING LET HIM FEARE
GOD AND HONOUR THE KING.'


Listing NGR: SD5328454458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.