This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1808 / 54°10'50"N
Longitude: -2.6139 / 2°36'49"W
OS Eastings: 360031
OS Northings: 476290
OS Grid: SD600762
Mapcode National: GBR BN53.W1
Mapcode Global: WH94V.T5HR
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182521
Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6
Civil Parish: Whittington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
WHITTINGTON CHURCH STREET (south side)
SD 67 NW
2/221 Old Rectory
House, formerly rectory, 1728. Rendered with sandstone dressings and stone
slate roof. A symmetrical composition of 3 storeys and 5 bays, with
chamfered quoins. Boxed sash windows have glazing bars and plain reveals.
The door has a surround of chamfered rustication, with round head
and moulded imposts. Above is a plaque carved with a shield of arms and
inscribed: 'George Hornby Clerk A.M. Rector of Whittington erected this
House 1728.' The north wall of the rear wing, which appears to be of the
same build, has a door of 15 raised and fielded panels under an iron
trellis porch. Inside, there is a dog-leg stair with closed string,
moulded handrail, and turned balusters.
Listing NGR: SD6003176290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings