History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School and School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1793 / 54°10'45"N

Longitude: -2.6127 / 2°36'45"W

OS Eastings: 360104

OS Northings: 476114

OS Grid: SD601761

Mapcode National: GBR BN63.4M

Mapcode Global: WH94V.V60Y

Entry Name: Old School and School House

Listing Date: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182528

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkby Lonsdale

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON MAIN STREET (west side)
SD 67 NW

2/228 Old school and School House

GV II

Former school and school house, 1875, probably by Paley and Austin.
Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Former
school, to the right, of one storey with attic. Windows mullioned and
transomed, with round heads to the upper lights. At the left is a gabled
projecting wing with 2 6-light windows which have a panel of blank
tracery between. Under the apex of the gable, which has some applied
timber decoration and shaped bargeboards, is a 2-light mullioned window.
The main part of the facade has windows of 6, 4, and 6 lights. At the
right is a doorway with moulded surround and shaped lintel inscribed: '18
AG 75'. The roof at this side is hipped with a gablet. Chimney to right of
gabled wing. On the ridge of the wing is a cupola, originally having a
bell, which has a slated cap with ball finial. The house, formerly the
schoolmaster's, has an upper storey with plaster and applied timber
framing, and has a hipped roof. At the left is one bay projecting
forwards. On the ground floor it has a 3-light mullioned window. Above is
a timber oriel carried upwards as a gabled dormer. To the right is a
slated verandah which has a stone canted bay window under it, with 3
mullioned lights at the front. On the 1st floor is a timber window of 5
lights. To the left of the bay window is a door with moulded surround.
Chimney on ridge of projecting bay and to right. At the right is a lower
one-bay link with the school, which has a 3-light timber window on the 1st
floor-and a moulded doorway below.


Listing NGR: SD6010476114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.