History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Farm Buildings to Hothfield Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Hothfield, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1657 / 51°9'56"N

Longitude: 0.8152 / 0°48'54"E

OS Eastings: 596921

OS Northings: 144486

OS Grid: TQ969444

Mapcode National: GBR RWF.WD0

Mapcode Global: VHKKF.2YTR

Entry Name: Former Farm Buildings to Hothfield Place

Listing Date: 14 February 1967

Last Amended: 10 October 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 180972

Location: Hothfield, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Hothfield

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Hothfield

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2017

TQ 94 SE
15/3

HOTHFIELD
CHURCH LANE
The Granary, The Dovecot and The Old Stables
Former Farm Buildings to Hothfield Place

(Formerly listed as BETHERSDEN ROAD, "The Stables," Polla House, previously listed as Hothfield Place, Farm Buildings)

14.2.67

II
These former farm buildings are the only remaining buildings from Hothfield Place, a house rebuilt in 1778-80 by James Wyatt for Sackville Tufton, Eighth Earl of Thanet, but demolished in 1954. These buildings are probably also by James Wyatt. "The Stables" is a modern name which does not refer to their original functions, the former stables having been demolished. Late C18. At the west end is an L-shaped building now used as stables. One storey red brick. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. Six round-headed doorways with semi-circular fanlights. Next to this is an octagonal brick dovecote, now used as a feed box, with a lantern at the apex of the roof. Further east are two small rectangular brick buildings now used as stables, each with two round-headed doorways and one round-headed window.

Listing NGR: TQ9692144486

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.