This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1972 / 51°11'49"N
Longitude: 0.9233 / 0°55'23"E
OS Eastings: 604335
OS Northings: 148276
OS Grid: TR043482
Mapcode National: GBR SXJ.S9M
Mapcode Global: VHKKG.Y5GL
Entry Name: Buckwell Farmhouse
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181356
Location: Boughton Aluph, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Boughton Aluph
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 NW BOUGHTON ALUPH CANTERBURY ROAD
5/8 Buckwell Farmhouse
Manor House in moated site. Circa 1500 with C17 and C18 cladding. Timber
framed, clad in red brick. Tiled roof. Entrance front: C17 brick facade,
English bond 2 storeys, the hipped end of a cross wing to left, and catslide
to right covering half a ruined way with portions of lost window openings
visible. 2 end stacks. Irregular 3 window front. C20 wood casements, the
left hand first floor window a shallow oriel corbelled out in brick. Central
door of 6 fielded panels and rectangular fanlight in pedimented porch.
North West or road front; C17 English bond red brick, plain tile roof. 2 storeys,
a brick plinth with blocked openings to cellar. The hipped roof ridge is higher
to left stepped down to right. 2 large front stacks, C18 brickwork, that to
right stands proud of the wall surface. Irregular fenestration of 2 windows.
C20 wood casement, except lower right which is C18 glazing bar sash, all in
C18 segment - headed openings. Interior; Stone cellar; late mediaeval, survives
at the junction of the two wings with blocked plain window opening and surviving
tunnel, connected with former drawbridge over float, now dry. Living room:
exposed solid spandrels to large tie beam, and fireplace of c.1500. Roses and
shields carved in spandrels and mantel, jambs moulded to half height, and carved
in mantel: "Thomas Moyleys the ryght honor".
Listing NGR: TR0425148266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings