History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Horne's Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Appledore, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0438 / 51°2'37"N

Longitude: 0.791 / 0°47'27"E

OS Eastings: 595745

OS Northings: 130870

OS Grid: TQ957308

Mapcode National: GBR RXY.GSP

Mapcode Global: FRA D6KC.60F

Entry Name: Horne's Place

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 9 August 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362879

English Heritage Legacy ID: 180088

Location: Appledore, Ashford, Kent, TN26

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Appledore

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Wavehorne

Listing Text

5272

APPLEDORE
KENARDINGTON ROAD
Horne's Place
(Formerly listed as Horne Place Farmhouse)

TQ 93 SE 10/31

4.6.52.

II*

House with private chapel. Late C14 chapel, reroofed c1520 linked
to house to the north east of which are 2 late C15 or early C16
finely decorated solar bays,though its hall and service bays were
completely rebuilt in the C17 and linked to the chapel by a
contemporary or slightly later wing. Chapel of Kentish ragstone,
rubble with tiled roof. House timberframed with brick infill,
some tile hanging to 1st floor and tiled roof with 3 tall brick
chimneystacks. Chapel west front has double cinquefoil window and
blocked 4-centred arch. Ground floor has cambered entrance. South
front has ogee opening with window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights.
Hagioscope. East window traceried with triple cinquefoil. North
front has similar window. Main or north west front of house has
gable to right hand side which is the end of the c1500 solar
wing. 1st floor tile hung with 4 C19 casements. Ground floor is
partly underbuilt and is supported on 3 carved brackets.
Projecting doorcase with 6 panelled door and rectangular
fanlight. Exposed mainly C17 frame to ground floor. Left side
return has hipped roof with end external chimneystack and
catslide roof. Link block to chapel has C17 box frame exposed
with plaster infill. This wing terminates in a tile-hung gable.
Right side of solar wing tile hung with 2 3-light windows. Rear
of solar wing has hipped roof, one 3-light casement to 1st floor
and plank doorcase in moulded architraves to ground floor. Chapel
has barrel-vaulted undercroft and c1520 roof of 4 heavily moulded
arch braces rising from corbels. The principal feature of the
house is the very elaborate 2-bay solar wing built between 1480
and 1520 with one room on each floor. 1st floor chamber was
jettied to the north and has a very elaborate crown post moulded
in 4 sections with roll moulding supported on a roll-moulded and
crenellated tie beam. The rafter couples are linked by collars
which are braced with soulaces. Every fifth rafter couple has a
carved cross. Ground floor of solar wing has roll moulded beams
of c1500 and C17 brick fireplace with wooden bressummer. In the
late C16 or early C17 the medieval open hall was replaced by the
present hall range of continuous jetty form which originally had
a lobby entry. The roof is of side purlins type and the ground
floor ceiling of the hall contains the reused side purlins from
the medieval solar room together with contemporary chamfered
spine beam with lambs tongue stops. Large open fireplace with
wooden bressummer. North western ground floor room has dragon
beam. Some C19 iron firegrates and 2 panelled doors. Horne's
Place was the seat of the Horne family since 1276 when Edward I
gave land to Matthew de Horne. During Wat Tyler's rebellion of
1381 the property was entered and £10 worth of goods stolen, but
this must relate to an earlier building on the site.
[See RCHM Report 1989
Wealden Buildings Study group report of 1982
Archaeologia Cantiana 14 1882 p363 "Chapel at Hornes Place
Appledore" by W A Scott Robertson]


Listing NGR: TQ9574530870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.