This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.066 / 51°3'57"N
Longitude: 0.7115 / 0°42'41"E
OS Eastings: 590079
OS Northings: 133127
OS Grid: TQ900331
Mapcode National: GBR QWB.0QG
Mapcode Global: FRA D6C9.K0S
Entry Name: Finchden Manor
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179660
Location: Tenterden, Ashford, Kent, TN30
Civil Parish: Tenterden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1715 APPLEDORE ROAD
(North East Side)
TQ 93 SW 6/140 8.5.50.
A large C16 timber-framed house with modern additions at the north west
end. Sir Thomas More, when Lord Chancellor of England, was reported to
have visited the house. In the C19 it was occupied as a Benedictine Priory
but it is now a school. The lower half of the ground floor of the south
west front facing the garden is of red brick and grey headers. Above
it is plastered and painted black and white in imitation of timbering.
3 storeys, having 3 projecting gables with bressumers and one dormer and
6 bay windows below the gables. 2 storey projecting porch with gable,
its 1st floor coved. To the north west of the porch are 2 further bays
without gables, one of them coved similarly to the porch. One of these
bays has the date 1658 on it, which probably refers to an alteration.
Casement windows. The garden elevation is mainly brick fronted. The
roof has a massive brick chimney stack and hipped gables, 2 of which have
fretted bargeboards. The right side gable has a bressumer with strapwork
designs and some fine C17 grotesque brackets. Lion head waterspouts,
and rain water heads. The central portion has 3 hipped gables with 4
female grotesque brackets. The left side gable has exposed close-studded
timbering. The interior has a C17 staircase with balusters.
Finchden Manor, with gatepiers and zarden wall and stables, and Mavnards Farmhouse
with Priory Farmhouse (on south-west side of Appledore Road), form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ9007933127
Other nearby listed buildings