This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1432 / 51°8'35"N
Longitude: 1.3244 / 1°19'27"E
OS Eastings: 632630
OS Northings: 143470
OS Grid: TR326434
Mapcode National: GBR X2S.CN3
Mapcode Global: VHLHB.XJ1H
Entry Name: Block Number 47 (The Chapel)
Listing Date: 17 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363334
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178444
Location: Guston, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Guston
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 SW GUSTON DUKE OF YORK'S ROYAL
Block No 47
5/5 (The Chapel)
Chapel. 1909 by Sir Henry Tanner. Pebble dash and red brick and ashlar
dressings with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with aisles and transepts,
eastern narthex with flanking towers. The church is orientated to the west.
Entrance (east) front with recessed semi-circular windows flanking ashlar
doorway with keyed semi-circular surround. Modillion cornice pedimented
over door, with large, keyed semi-circular gabled window. Battlemented
octagonal side towers with cupolas. Shallow segmentally headed clerestory
lights, 3 each side, and plain mullioned sidelights. Transepts with
buttresses, and Diocletian windows over board doors in raised brick
surrounds. Triple lancet west window, the only concession to either Gothic
or ecclesiastical function. Shingled bellcote tower over chancel, with
cupola and pedimented louvred openings. Interior: brick and ashlar banded
walls, narrow side aisles; roof trusses to nave; plaster barrel vaulted
chancel; original pews and fittings.
Listing NGR: TR3248343658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings