History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Denton Court and Entrance Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denton with Wootton, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1768 / 51°10'36"N

Longitude: 1.1704 / 1°10'13"E

OS Eastings: 621700

OS Northings: 146730

OS Grid: TR217467

Mapcode National: GBR W0W.2QS

Mapcode Global: VHLH2.7PM7

Entry Name: Denton Court and Entrance Court

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178565

Location: Denton with Wootton, Dover, Kent, CT4

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Denton with Wootton

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Womenswold

Listing Text

TR 24 NW DENTON AND WOOTTON CANTERBURY ROAD
(east side)
1/36
Denton Court and
27.8.52 entrance court
GV II*
House. 1792-1810 for Sir Samuel Egerton Brydges, extended late Cl9 for
Willats family. Red brick and plain tiled roof. Two irregularly planned
parallel ranges. Entrance front: 2 storeys and attic on plinth the left 2
bays projecting, with 2 string courses, the lower raised over the heads of
ground floor fenestration. Dogtooth cornice to roof with shaped gable to
right, stacks ranged left to right and 4 gabled dormers. Pyramidal roofs
to projecting bays on right return, to end left and to partly detached tower
block at end left. Projecting single storey and attic wing to left with
turret, end stack and gabled half-dormer. Two sashes on each floor to left,
3 to right, and double panelled door to centre left in large half-timbered
porch, with 3 bay arcaded pentice across ground floor to right. Panelled
door and sash in projecting wing to left. Front courtyard enclosed by low
brick wall with ball finial entrances to left and to main carriage drive.
Garden facade: late C18 front, 2 storeys on rendered plinth with 3 complex
shaped gables with finials, and with shaped end gables, and moulded stacks
ranged to left and to right. False oval windows in gables, with regular
fenestration of 7 glazing bar sashes on first floor and 6 on ground floor
with central double half-glazed doors. Canted balustraded pavillions to
left and to right. Interior: C18 wing with modillion eaves cornice and
ceiling roses, and fine deep frieze in major rooms. C19 additions centred
on large 2 storey hall, panelled in Jacobethan manner, with large staircase
with moulded rail and turned baluster, continued as gallery, around 3 sides
of hall. The garden wing was either rebuilt or remodelled from a C16
house of the Boys family, by Sir Samuel Egerton Brydges, poet, bibliographer,
printer, M.P. for Maidstone, putative claiment to Duchy of Chandos, and
famed Kentish eccentric (See P. Bretton, Bygone Kent, June 1982 p.326).


Listing NGR: TR2170046730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.