History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Headmaster's House the Skinners' School Library tonbridge School

A Grade II Listed Building in Tonbridge and Malling, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1997 / 51°11'58"N

Longitude: 0.2758 / 0°16'32"E

OS Eastings: 559097

OS Northings: 146955

OS Grid: TQ590469

Mapcode National: GBR MP0.QK7

Mapcode Global: VHHQ6.Q3NN

Entry Name: The Headmaster's House the Skinners' School Library tonbridge School

Listing Date: 20 January 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 178706

Location: Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN10

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Town: Tonbridge and Malling

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Tonbridge

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Tonbridge St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Tonbridge

Listing Text

1. HIGH STREET
1732 (West Side)

Tonbridge School

The Headmaster's House and
The Skinners' School Library
TQ 5946 NW 3/35B

II

2.
These incorporate the oldest buildings of the School originally used as such.
The Library was built in 1760, enlarged in 1826, the Headmaster's house built
in 1864. Together they form the south side of the School courtyard, which
is partly open on the east side. The west half of the range has the appearance
of an C18 house Gothicised in the early C19. 2 storeys and attic. 6 windows.
2 dormers. Fronted with cement. Castellated parapet. Casement windows with
diamond-shaped panes and buttresses flanking them. Tiled roof. The east
half of the range is a mid-C19 Gothic building consisting of a centre and
2 slightly projecting wings with gables. 2 storeys and attic in west gable.
4 windows. Sandstone ashlar. Castellated parapet between the gable storey.
Tiled roof. 2 bay windows on ground floor and gabled porch between with a
stone over the doorway recording the foundation of the School in 1553.
Windows of various shapes above. Gable to east front and oriel window below
it.


Listing NGR: TQ5906547021

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.