This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2115 / 51°12'41"N
Longitude: 1.3989 / 1°23'56"E
OS Eastings: 637488
OS Northings: 151303
OS Grid: TR374513
Mapcode National: GBR X1Y.SM6
Mapcode Global: VHMDG.6TF4
Entry Name: Building 12 (Officers Mess) South Barracks
Listing Date: 8 February 1974
Last Amended: 29 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177061
Location: Walmer, Dover, Kent, CT14
Civil Parish: Walmer
Built-Up Area: Deal
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 35 SE DEAL DOVER ROAD, Lower Walmer
(North West side)
860/5/248 Building 12 (Officers' Mess),
Officers' quarters and mess, now Royal Marines barracks. 1795, by J Johnson and J Sanders, Barrack Department architects; Royal Marines barracks from 1869, altered mid C19, and extended early C20. Yellow Flemish bond brick with rubbed brick headers, brick lateral and ridge stacks, and hipped slate roof. Double-depth axial plan. Late Georgian style. 3 storeys and attic; 19-window range. EXTERIOR: the original 13-window range has a 7-window central section broken forward under a wide pediment with dentil eaves cornices and a clock set in a semi-circular recess, and a square louvred cupola. Mid C19 pedimented porches at each end have vermiculated keys, and imposts to round-arched doorways and mid C20 doors, with sashes each side; segmental-arched rubbed brick heads to ground-floor plate-glass sashes, blind windows alternate with 6/6-pane sashes on the first-floor and 3/6-pane second-floor sashes, most with horns. Flat-headed lead-clad dormers to front and back.
Early C20 3-window extensions each side in matching style and fenestation, each have rendered parapets and flat roofs, with a central lateral stack. Similar rear elevation with 4 central dormers; below extends a former kitchen wing including a tall lantern to one section. INTERIOR: largely reconstructed mid C20 with mouldings and other fittings replaced; original transverse dogleg stairs have column newels and stick balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: The C18 range is one of only two officers' quarters that survives from the first English army barrack-building campaign of the 1790s, and part of a group with the men's accommodation to the right, and the former cavalry barracks to the NE (qqv).
Listing NGR: TR3677351934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings