History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Biddestone, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4647 / 51°27'52"N

Longitude: -2.2323 / 2°13'56"W

OS Eastings: 383961

OS Northings: 173994

OS Grid: ST839739

Mapcode National: GBR 1R1.0GX

Mapcode Global: VH969.8G70

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317173

Location: Biddestone, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Biddestone

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Slaughterford

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Slaughterford

Listing Text

BIDDESTONE SLAUGHTERFORD
ST 87 SW
4/83 Church of St. Nicholas
20.12.60

GV II*

Anglican parish church, C15, 1823 and 1883. Ashlar with stone
tiled roofs and coped gables with saddlestones. West tower, nave
and south porch and chancel. Small C15 2-stage tower with 3-sided
stair turret rising to bell stage only. Renewed Perpendicular
style west window with hoodmould, dripmould under bell-stage with
2-light square headed cusped openings on each face. Pierced stone
panelling in each light. Blank panel under west and north side
openings. Upper dripmould under embattled parapet with corner
pinnacles. Nave, chancel and south porch rebuilt 1823 by G. Forder
of Winchester. Hollow eaves moulding. 2 windows to nave north side,
one window and embattled porch to south side, chancel with
windowless sides and east window. All windows filled with
Perpendicular style tracery in 1883. Hoodmoulds over. Plain
interior with plastered walls and roofs, chamfered chancel arch and
later C19 fittings. Inscription recording 1823 rebuilding after 2
centuries of disuse.
(Colvin: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978,
313.)


Listing NGR: ST8396173994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.