This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.459 / 51°27'32"N
Longitude: -2.1929 / 2°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 386693
OS Northings: 173354
OS Grid: ST866733
Mapcode National: GBR 1R2.JDJ
Mapcode Global: VH969.YL1D
Entry Name: The Manor House and Barn
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 9 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317098
Location: Biddestone, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Biddestone
Built-Up Area: Biddestone
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: By Brook
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
BIDDESTONE CHIPPENHAM LANE
9/8 The Manor House and barn
(barn formerly listed separately
Large house, early C17, possibly with earlier origins, rubble stone
with ashlar flush quoins. Stone tiled roofs with moulded coped
gables and ball finials. Ashlar tall stacks, diagonally-set.
Square plan, 2 storey and attic with triple gabled fronts to west
and east. Ovolo-moulded windows with hoodmoulds and leaded light
casements. casements, several window surrounds and other features
are part of restoration after 1914 for F. Morley Esq. South front
has single central gable with 2-light window, armorial cartouche
below and 5-window range main floors, alternately 3 and 2-light.
Central door with renewed Tudor arched doorcase in pedimented porch
with crude swollen Tuscan columns. West front has paired stack on
ridge, 3-window range, 2-light attic windows, 3-light first floor
windows and ground floor with 2 early C18 18-pane sashes in
architrave frames with cornice strip to left, central segmental
arched doorway, and 4-light window with king mullion to right.
Doorcase is bead-moulded with pilaster jambs and keystone to arch.
To each side an ovolo-moulded single light and above, a stone hood
with panelled soffit and scrolled brackets. East front has 3-
window range, paired stacks on ridge, 2-light attic windows, 3-
light first floor and ground floor 4-light with king mullion to
left and right of door and right side 5-light with king mullion.
Plank door in original Tudor arched surround with hoodmould.
Tuscan columned porch as on south front. North side was originally
2 cross-gabled wings with triple stacks on inner gables but centre
has been filled in. 2-light attic windows, 3-light first floor,
centre window C20, and 3 C20 4-light windows with king mullions
below. Attached at north east corner gabled kitchen range.
Attached at south west corner by C20 single storey link is stone
tiled barn with datestone W M E 1705 (initials for W. and E.
Mountjoy) converted to ballroom c1929. Hipped cart entrances to
east and west and east side lean-to. C20 alterations include large
mullion and transom windows to cart entrances and south end wall,
north end diagonal stack and mullion windows to lean-to's.
Interior: has stone fireplaces and early C18 panelling to south
east and north west corner rooms. 2 original stone Tudor archways
to east-west cross passage. C20 inserted work includes steps to
south east room and fireplace in barn said to have come from Manor
Farmhouse (q.v.). On west front, a lead hopper head dated 1664.
(Country Life, 13.5.1905.)
Listing NGR: ST8669373354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings