This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5417 / 51°32'30"N
Longitude: -1.9049 / 1°54'17"W
OS Eastings: 406694
OS Northings: 182537
OS Grid: SU066825
Mapcode National: GBR 3T4.C74
Mapcode Global: VHB3J.XHVZ
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363658
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316811
Location: Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Royal Wootton Bassett
Built-Up Area: Wootton Bassett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton Bassett St Bartholomew and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET
11/129 Town Hall
Town Hall, c1700, much restored 1889, timber framed raised on stone
columns. Hipped stone slate roof. Ground floor open, 15 stone
columns of tapered oolite with bulbous capitals and torus bases.
Stair with heavy turned balusters and moulded strings to upper
floor, three-and-a-half bays, former Council chamber. Stair and
office in half bay. Elevation straight corner braces and
herringbone framing under leaded wood casement windows, perhaps
improved when building restored by Lady Meux in 1889. Whitened
infill panels with Meux arms and inscription REST ANNO 1889 both
ends. Roof now with weathercock replacing central timber lantern.
Internally, timber posts jowelled carrying chamfered and stopped
tie beams, cross ties removed when ceiling raised to collar level
at restoration. Stair partly renewed at restoration. 6-panelled
door. Chair dated 1686.
Building, in a conservative style, was presented to the borough by
Lawrence Hyde 1st Earl of Rochester as Council Chamber and Court
Room. Ownership presented to town in 1895, when Blind House
removed from below the stair.
Listing NGR: SU0669382537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings