This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4418 / 51°26'30"N
Longitude: -1.9194 / 1°55'9"W
OS Eastings: 405697
OS Northings: 171428
OS Grid: SU056714
Mapcode National: GBR 3V9.FKC
Mapcode Global: VHB43.P140
Entry Name: Former Hangar at North East Corner of Former Airfield
Listing Date: 25 November 1987
Last Amended: 29 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316298
Location: Cherhill, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Cherhill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Compton Bassett St Swithin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU07SE COMPTON BASSETT YATESBURY
1385/11/286 Former Hangar at north east corner of former airfield
Hangar for the servicing and repair of aircraft. 1916. Timber-framed with corrugated iron cladding and tarred roofing felt to curved and boarded roof. Rectangular plan, with full-width gable end openings, with lean-to annexes and brick chimney to semi-sunk boiler house on north side. Small-paned iron windows, 15 each side, set high up. Ends have timber boarding in gables and wide iron gantries (later C20 replacements) for sliding doors, surviving intact on west end and the east end refronted in later C20, in brick with two large doors. INTERIOR: similar roof form to the General Service Flight Sheds (qv).
HISTORY: The Aeroplane Repair Section specialised in the repair and servicing of aircraft, and this is the most complete surviving example of an ARS shed in Britain. It relates to two Gerneral Service Flight Sheds (qv) on the north side of the former airfield: a unique survival of a First World War RFC airfield with its hangars for service and housing a squadron of aircraft. Yatesbury opened in November 1916 as a Training Depot Station with two separate aerodromes, each to house two Royal Flying Corps reserve squadrons for the training of pilots.
Listing NGR: SU0570271431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings