History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottage manse moravian Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bremhill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4737 / 51°28'25"N

Longitude: -2.0509 / 2°3'3"W

OS Eastings: 396558

OS Northings: 174966

OS Grid: ST965749

Mapcode National: GBR 2SD.J9Q

Mapcode Global: VHB3V.D7M4

Entry Name: Church Cottage manse moravian Church

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 25 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316159

Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bremhill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bremhill

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

BREMHILL EAST TYTHERTON
ST 97 SE
(north side)
8/35 Moravian Church, Manse and Church
Cottage (formerly listed as Moravian
20.12.60 Church, Manse, House adjoining and
schoolroom)
GV II*
Moravian chapel with attached manse and cottages, 1792-4, red brick
with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. Single storey chapel
and two storey houses each end. Chapel has rubble plinth, flush
quoins to right, but is continuous with Manse to left, coped east
gable and small hexagonal timber bellcote at east end. Three-
window range of round-headed small-paned windows in ashlar
surrounds with raised keystones and imposts. Windows are tall each
side, centre is a stilted lunette over a large ashlar enclosed
porch, added 1882 with double doors in Roman Doric doorcase. Inner
doorcase is broad segment-headed flush and beaded, now infilled
with panelling around door. Under left window is inset eroded
memorial plaque and datestone AD 1792. Two large arched rear
windows. Manse to left is continuous, but in Flemish bond
brickwork where chapel is English bond. Three-window range with
end stacks, quoins to left, rubble plinth, ashlar band and brick
dentilled eaves course. Twelve-pane sashes in ashlar surrounds,
paired each side, single to first floor centre over 6-panel door in
raised moulded surround with hood on brackets. Church Cottage, to
right, is two-window range original extended to east (church room
and Flat 2) in matching style. Original has ashlar plinth and
band, brick dentilled eaves, 15-pane sashes, paired to right and
single to left over 6-panel door in raised moulded surround with
hood on brackets. Brick stack at original east end. Addition
beyond has 15-pane sash above, 12-pane sash and 4-panel door in
plain raised surround below. Hood on brackets.
Interior: chapel interior is plain with east gallery on two iron
columns. Panelled gallery front, broken forward in centre.
Moravian Settlement at East Tytherton was founded by John Cennick,
a Methodist who evangelized in North Wiltshire from 1740 and the
chapel was founded 1742. In 1745 the community joined the Moravian
Brethren. A new house for single sisters (q.v. Kellaways House)
was built 1785-6 and in 1792-3 the former chapel and manse of 1743-
4 were rebuilt. Church Cottage is apparently the girls' boarding
school added 1793-4 and extended or altered later. Chapel interior
was altered 1882 when porch was added and pulpit removed from
centre of rear wall.
(Information from C. Stell; Rev W.L. Bowles, A parochial history
of the parish of Bremhill, 1828 153-5; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire,
1975 234


Listing NGR: ST9656274973

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.