History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bremhill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4687 / 51°28'7"N

Longitude: -2.076 / 2°4'33"W

OS Eastings: 394814

OS Northings: 174420

OS Grid: ST948744

Mapcode National: GBR 2SC.XLK

Mapcode Global: VH96C.YBVX

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316204

Location: Bremhill, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bremhill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

BREMHILL TYTHERTON LUCAS
ST 97 SW
7/80 Manor Farmhouse
GV II*
Manor house, C16 to C17 altered c1700, rubble stone, formerly
roughcast, with ashlar dressings and hipped Bridgwater tile roof.
Some timber-framing. Two storeys and attic, with two ridge stacks
to front range and large north west chimney gable. Dormers
formerly in roof, now removed. Main front is 7-window with coved
eaves cornice, the three bays to right of close-spaced 2-light
mullion-and-transom windows, recessed chamfer moulded, with
hoodmould over ground floor. Four bays to left are wider spaced
with ashlar flush band under cornice and stone mullion windows,
cyma/hollow moulded, 3-light except for 2-light in right bay over
moulded 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels and cornice.
Above is set finely carved arms dated 1702, said to be of Stokes
and Barret families. Doorway opens into porch with moulded oak
frame to inner door, re-used or raised up. Hoodmoulds to ground
floor windows. West end and rear have similar cornice and
cyma/hollow moulded windows with hoodmoulds. West end has 4-light
above and 3-light below. Rear has, to left of projecting chimney
gable, two 3-lights to first floor, and ground floor door and 3-
light in C20 lean-to verandah. To left, a 2-storey hipped stair
tower with similar windows, 3-light each floor to north and 2-
light to first floor west. To left projects north east rear wing
with outside north stack and timber-framing in north gable. Wing
has west side casements and east side first floor hollow-moulded 2-
light window over triple casement. A lower wing projects from east
end of front range and in angle to rear wing is fine 3-sided stair
tower with small round-headed loop on north east face and single
light each floor on east face. Lower wing is rubble stone with
timber-frame and red brick to first floor of north side, cement
render on south side. Ridge stack and coped east gable with
saddlestone. North side has ground floor chamfered single light
and casement pair. East end has apex single light (former dove-
entry) and first floor pair of hollow-moulded 2-lights with unusual
shallow Gothic panels between. South side has C20 verandah.
Interior: ground floor hall and west end room have chamfered beams
with stepped run-out stops. Stair in main stair tower is renewed
except at attic landing which has turned balusters of early to mid
C17 type. C17 panelling in room to east of hall, also bolection
moulded fireplace of c1700 type. Attic has tie-beam and collar
truss roofs, rear wing roof of 5-bays with straight wind bracing
apparently earlier than large 4-bay main roof. An internal timber-
framed gable suggests that main stair tower is added. Over lower
east wing is 2-bay roof completely lined with timber nesting boxes.
Small stair tower has fine oak winding stair. Evidence would
suggest that rear wing, right side of main front and lower east
wing date from c1600 and that major part to left was rebuilt with
new stair tower in mid to later C17. Manor Farm belonged to the
Stokes family in C17 and C18, Edward Stokes died 1667, Abjohn
Stokes died 1712 and Abjohn Stokes II, died 1725.
(J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; 152-4)


Listing NGR: ST9481474420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.