History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Langley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.481 / 51°28'51"N

Longitude: -2.1034 / 2°6'12"W

OS Eastings: 392916

OS Northings: 175785

OS Grid: ST929757

Mapcode National: GBR 2SB.31M

Mapcode Global: VH96C.H1CH

Entry Name: Stable Block at Langley House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363837

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315989

Location: Langley Burrell Without, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Langley Burrell Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul, Chippenham with Langley Burrell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Tytherton Lucas

Listing Text

LANGLEY BURRELL SWINDON ROAD
ST 97 NW WITHOUT (east side)

8/176 Stable block at Langley House

20.12.60

GV II


Stable block, C17 and early C19, rubble stone with stone slate
hipped roof. Single storey and attic, L-plan. Main range has long
south front with two gabled leaded dormers and ground floor stone
mullion windows with leaded lights, either ovolo-moulded or
chamfered recessed mullions. From left, a 2-light blocked ovolo-
moulded window then 2-light chamfered windows each side of 2-light
long-mullioned chamfered window with deep hoodmould and date plaque
1624 MHW MW over. To right, two similar long-mullioned windows,
but ovolo-moulded, with 3-light chamfered window between, 2-light
chamfered window to left and 2-light ovolo-moulded window to right.
Dripcourse stepped as hoodmould over left window and as deep hood
over both long windows. East end has dormer and ground floor 2-
light ovolo-moulded window with hoodmould. Rear, to court, has two
dormers and two doors. Attached at east end is range running north
with west front, to court, of five early C19 cambered-arched
entries with ashlar piers and timber lintels, four with boarded
doors to coach-house, one to carriagway through. North end is
brick with ashlar dressings and 2-light ovolo-moulded window, rear
wall has two ovolo-moulded mullion windows with hoodmoulds and one
dormer above. This range has early C19 kingpost roof. Main range
has double-purlin roof with tie-beam-and-collar trusses, 3-bay to
west and 5-bay to east, divided by stone wall.


Listing NGR: ST9291675785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.