History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5194 / 51°31'9"N

Longitude: -2.2029 / 2°12'10"W

OS Eastings: 386016

OS Northings: 180077

OS Grid: ST860800

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q9.MVX

Mapcode Global: VH963.R2RJ

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315857

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Grittleton

Listing Text

GRITTLETON THE STREET 1
ST 88 SE (north side)

3/46 Church House
(formerly listed as the Old Rectory

20.12.60

GV II

Former rectory, late C18, for the Rev. T. Pollock, rector 1763-
1801, ashlar with stone slate roofs. Formal 3-storey, 3-window
centre square-plan house with low single storey wings connecting to
gable-end pavilions in loosely symmetrical arrangement. House has
hipped valley roofs, end stacks, raised plinth, band, moulded
cornice and parapet. Twelve-pane sashes to main floors, 9-pane
above and broad arched centre doorway with radiating bar fanlight
over tripartite opening with Roman Doric columns between 6-panel
door and sidelights. Pilaster responds. Rear is similar but with
plain centre door and large canted bay each side. To each side of
centre, 2-window wings, ashlar with parapet. Twelve-pane sashes,
those to left much larger with door to right, probably a
conservatory formerly. Slate roof. End pavilions are similar in
hipped gables and ashlar fronting, but west pavilion is end of
coach house range, hipped also to north, east pavilion is added for
symmetry and only one-room depth, gabled to north. Both have 6-
pane upper light, west pavilion has blank lower window, east
pavilion has door and two 12-pane sashes of differing sizes.


Listing NGR: ST8601680077

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.