History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grittleton Baptist Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Grittleton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5193 / 51°31'9"N

Longitude: -2.2006 / 2°12'2"W

OS Eastings: 386180

OS Northings: 180058

OS Grid: ST861800

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q9.NGX

Mapcode Global: VH963.T20N

Entry Name: Grittleton Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 29 May 1985

Last Amended: 29 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315866

Location: Grittleton, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Grittleton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Grittleton and Leigh Delamere

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Grittleton

Listing Text

GRITTLETON THE STREET
ST 88 SE (south side)

3/55 Grittleton Baptist Chapel
(formerly listed as Strict
Baptist Chapel)
29.5.85

II*

Baptist Chapel, c1720, rubble stone with ashlar dressings and
hipped Bridgwater tile roof. Rectangular plan with flush
segmental-headed windows, 2 tall cross-windows to west side with
dripcourse over, four smaller cross-windows to ground floor of east
side, dripcourse above and four 2-light upper windows. South end
segmental-headed doorway with keystone and short moulded cornice
over. A south east cornerstone has scratched 1722 and possibly
1705 dates. Elevations appear to reflect a gallery on east and
pulpit central on west wall but interior now has galleries at north
and south ends, that to south probably C18, on two turned posts,
has fielded panelled front, that to north, possibly C19, is over a
glazed-fronted vestry. Original octagonal timber pulpit with
fielded panels and turned balusters is reset in front of vestry.
At rear south east corner three C18 oak box pews, the rest of the
pews are mid C19 deal. Licensed 11.1.1721. The chapel was
promoted and supported by the Houlton family of the Manor House.
(J.E. Jackson, A History of the Parish of Grittleton, 1843, 21)


Listing NGR: ST8618080057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.