History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote to the West of Crudwell Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Crudwell, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6354 / 51°38'7"N

Longitude: -2.0657 / 2°3'56"W

OS Eastings: 395552

OS Northings: 192955

OS Grid: ST955929

Mapcode National: GBR 2QG.DKQ

Mapcode Global: VHB32.45T4

Entry Name: Dovecote to the West of Crudwell Court

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315685

Location: Crudwell, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Crudwell

Built-Up Area: Crudwell

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Crudwell

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Crudwell

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

ST 99 SE CRUDWELL EASTCOURT ROAD
(north side)

3/63 Dovecote to the west of
Crudwell Court

12.12.51

GV II

The description should be amended to read:-


Dovecote. Probably late C13. Circular structure of coursed rubble
whose roof of stone slates had collapsed shortly before August 1986.
Open doorway to the south with wooden lintel and architrave. Interior:
nine tiers of nesting boxes intact to a height of 2 metres. The
Nonarum Inquisitions of 1341 mentions a dovecote attached to Crudwell
rectory, which belonged to Malmesbury Abbey. The dovecote was probably
built as a result of improvements to the estate carried out by William
of Colerne, who was appointed abbot in 1260 and was responsible for
rebuilding the church between 1260 and 1288.

------------------------------------

ST 99 SE CRUDWELL EASTCOURT ROAD
(north side)

3/63 Dovecote to the west of
Crudwell Court

12.12.51

GV II


Dovecote. Early C18. Circular structure of coursed rubble whose
roof of stone slates had recently collapsed when inspected on
resurvey (August 1986). Open doorway to the south with wooden
lintel and architrave.
Interior: nine tiers of nesting boxes intact to a height of 2
metres.


Listing NGR: ST9555292955

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.