History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5754 / 51°34'31"N

Longitude: -2.0632 / 2°3'47"W

OS Eastings: 395719

OS Northings: 186284

OS Grid: ST957862

Mapcode National: GBR 2R7.17L

Mapcode Global: VHB38.6N4N

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 28 October 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363898

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315726

Location: Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lea and Cleverton

Built-Up Area: Lea

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lea and Cleverton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

ST 98 NE LEA & CLEVERTON THE STREET, Lea
(north side)

6/104 Church of St Giles

28.10.59

GV II


Anglican Parish Church. C15 west tower, the remainder of 1878.
Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings and ashlar to
copings and tower parapet, clay tile roofs. Nave and chancel in
one, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Single, 2 and 3-
light C15 style fenestration under flat heads to nave and chancel;
5-light east window. North aisle has starved 3-light C14 style
fenestration under pointed heads doorway and buttresses with set-
offs. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs,
moulded string courses, north-east corner stair turret and
embattled parapet. West face with blocked doorway and 3-light C15
pointed-arched window above to first stage and oblong opening to
second; 2-cusped-light bell openings with slate louvres to all
faces. Sundial on south-east buttress. Gabled south porch with
pointed-arched entrance and inner trefoil-cusped archway: plank
door.
Interior: Early English style 5-bay north arcade; wagon roofs
throughout. Fittings: C15 font at tower arch with octagonal bowl
on tapered C19 stem; 1878 stained glass to chancel south-east
window;: wall tablet on aisle north wall to Baker family (1849);
I.C.B.S: board to left of tower arch recording 1878 restoration.
(N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST9571986284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.