History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Brinkworth, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5449 / 51°32'41"N

Longitude: -1.9537 / 1°57'13"W

OS Eastings: 403304

OS Northings: 182887

OS Grid: SU033828

Mapcode National: GBR 3T2.4VV

Mapcode Global: VHB3J.2FZK

Entry Name: Vine House

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Last Amended: 16 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363918

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315627

Location: Brinkworth, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Brinkworth

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Brinkworth

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Lyneham

Listing Text

SU 08 SW BRINKWORTH GRITTENHAM

10/5 Vine House
(formerly listed as Vines Farmhouse)
12.12.51

II


Farmer farmhouse, now detached house. C17 core with 1726 re-
ordering (date on bracket inset within later porch), C19 and C20
alterations and additions. Squared and coursed rubble with flush
rusticated dressed stone quoins to centre block, brick to end
wings, that to left with timber framing and brick nogging to first
floor, wooden lintels and stone slate roofs; end stacks to centre
range with fluted stone bases and brick caps. T-shaped plan with
core ranges to centre and left, C19 wing to right and C20
extensions to rear. South front with 2-storey and attic, 2-window
central block and 2-storey, 1-window end wings. Windows are 3-
light small pane C20 casements except that to first floor of right-
hand wing which is a C19 sash with marginal glazing; below this is
a 2-leaf French window under a segmental head. Central gabled C20
stone porch with weatherboarding under gable and 2-leaf plank door;
blocked window above.
Interior. C17 panelling to south wall of central lower room,
complete panelled room to first floor of centre block with carved
frieze. The house is thought to have served as a Moravian church
and John Wesley is reputed to have preached in it.


Listing NGR: SU0330482887

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.