History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pickwick Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4336 / 51°26'0"N

Longitude: -2.199 / 2°11'56"W

OS Eastings: 386261

OS Northings: 170527

OS Grid: ST862705

Mapcode National: GBR 1RG.2VP

Mapcode Global: VH96H.T7TC

Entry Name: Pickwick Manor

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315342

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Built-Up Area: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM PICKWICK
ST 86 70
(south side)
4/314 Pickwick Manor
20.12.60
GV II*

House, C14 to C15 origins, mostly rebuilt c1664 for W. Wastfield Sr
with additions 1711 for W. Wastfield Jr, restored and altered 1920
by Sir H. Brakspear for himself. Rubble stone with stone tiled
roofs and C19 plain tiles to front roof slope, moulded copings to
end gables of main range, west end and two rear wall stacks. Two
and a half storeys. Main front c1664, has 4 coped gables, 2-light
attic windows with hoodmoulds, 7 first floor mullion-and-transom 2-
light windows, dripcourse over ground floor with 2 original
mullion-and-transom windows to right, door and three C18 twelve-
pane sashes to left in bead-moulded flush surrounds. Moulded
plinth. Six-panel door in large early C18 bolection-moulded frame
with panelled piers each side under scrolled brackets to large
shell hood. East end wall has 2 dripcourses, similar attic window,
2 similar first floor windows, one blank and ground floor 12-pane
sash with timber lintel to right over blocked opening. West end
has lower wing, possibly part of C15 house, raised and altered
1920. North-west wing, enclosing forecourt, is possibly C14 to C15
domestic range, the north end converted to barn in C17. South end
is 2-storey with north end stack on ridge. East side first floor
2-light ovolo-moulded window and heavy chamfered 2-light medieval
window much restored. Ground floor door and medieval 4-light
timber mullion window, chamfered mullions. Barn beyond has similar
4-light window, mullions chamfered with broach stops at half
length, and 2 blocked openings, all with timber lintels. Heavy
cornerstones at north end, upper 2-light ovolo-moulded window with
hoodmould. West side of barn has dormer gable and 3 doors. Heavy
floor beams with run-out stops to chamfers. Three and a half bay
tie-beam-and-collar roof. Rear of 2-storey section has small
moulded pointed single light. South front of main range has
central stair tower with 2 early C18 bolection-moulded windows over
1920 two-bay flat porch. Original rear door in moulded architrave
with 2-light window to right within. To left is projecting wing of
1711, 3-window, two and a half storeys with off-centre gable and
parapet. Three-window range of 18-pane sashes in bolection-moulded
surrounds with moulded string courses over each floor and one 12-
pane similar attic window. Sashes are all of 1920. To right of
stair tower, large projecting wing remodelled and raised 1920
original 3-light mullion window to ground floor west, matching
windows elsewhere 1920 or reused.
Interior: Tudor-arched fireplace in entrance hall, full-height
stair with closed string, carved balusters and square newels.
Moulded flush square-headed fireplace in subdivided room west of
hall. Fine fielded panelled rooms to ground and first floor of
1711 section. Bolection-moulded fireplaces. North-east upstairs
room also has bolection-moulded fireplace, Tudor-arched fireplace
to upstairs north-west room. Upper room in west wing has stone
fireplace with jambs curving out as for stone hood, probably late
medieval, but with flat lintel and carved shelf, possibly C17.
North-east ground floor room has late C18 style decoration and
fireplace.
House belonged to Keynes family c1560, was bought by W. Wastfield
1639 and by R. Neale 1774.
(H. Brakspear, Corsham, n.d. 25-6 (reprint Wilts.Arch.Mag.43 511-
39).


Listing NGR: ST8626170527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.