History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corsham Parish Council Offices with Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4328 / 51°25'58"N

Longitude: -2.1853 / 2°11'7"W

OS Eastings: 387214

OS Northings: 170441

OS Grid: ST872704

Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.0BH

Mapcode Global: VH96J.27KY

Entry Name: Corsham Parish Council Offices with Railings

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 1 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315235

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Built-Up Area: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM HIGH STREET
ST 8770
(west side)
5/208 No 31 (Corsham Parish
Council Offices) with railings
20.12.60 (formerly listed as No 31)
GV II

Two houses, now parish offices and meeting rooms, one to left,
Arnold House dated 1703 for W.Arnold possibly refacing earlier
house, the other, to right mid to later C18. Arnold House is
ashlar fronted with stone tiled roof, coped south gable and south
end stack, 2½ storeys, 4-window range. Two moulded coped dormer
gables with finials, raised plaques with datestones 1703 and
initials WA, and 2-light recessed cyma-moulded leaded mullion
windows with hoodmoulds. Main floors each have 4 early C19
twelve-pane sashes. Ground floor has door to right of left end
sash with hood on brackets. Chamfered rear doorcase, now
internal. Rear curved stair tower with chimney gable to left and
ashlar wing to right, hipped at east end and with west end stack.
North side blank large upper window over 3-light recessed ovolo-
moulded mullion window. Rubble stone addition to west with hipped
roof. House to right is ashlar fronted with stone tiled roof,
coped gables and north end stack. Two storeys, 2-window range
with raised plinth, first floor sill course and moulded eaves
cornice. Large 2-storey canted bay to right with raised band,
hipped roof and three 12-pane sashes to each floor. To left,
upper 12-pane sash and ground floor 6-panel door recessed in arched
surround with fanlight. Surround has heavily rusticated piers and
arch, plain imposts. Spearhead iron railings with pierced
uprights carrying overthrow lamp bracket. Rubble stone north
wall. Rear one 12-pane upper sash and ground floor lean-to.


Listing NGR: ST8721470441

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.