History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hartham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4471 / 51°26'49"N

Longitude: -2.2014 / 2°12'5"W

OS Eastings: 386098

OS Northings: 172028

OS Grid: ST860720

Mapcode National: GBR 1R8.87T

Mapcode Global: VH969.SWKK

Entry Name: Hartham House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364019

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315180

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM HARTHAM
ST 87 SE
1/153 Hartham House
20 12 6o.
GV II

Country House, 1790-5 by J. Wyatt for Lady A. James, much enlarged
c1858 for T.H.A. Poynder and 1888 for J.D. Poynder by J. MacVicar
Anderson. Ashlar with slate roofs, 2 to 3 storeys. The original
house with centre 3-window canted bow and 2-window range each side
survives in centre of south front. Twelve-pane sashes in
architraves, raised plinth, band, sill course, moulded cornice and
balustrade, shallow pediments over ground floor centre and first
floor outer windows, curved pediment over first floor centre and
flat cornices elsewhere. Early views show carved plaques over
first floor windows, so facade possibly refaced. Extensions are
all in similar style. East, entrance front of c1858, two storeys,
3-1-3 windows, centre recessed with tall segmental-pedimented
doorcase set within projecting ashlar porch with Ionic columns
paired with outer piers, entablature and balustrade. South end,
adjoining original range, has canted bay to ground floor and 2
sashes above. West front, probably mostly of 1888, tall 3-storey
south-west block with 3-window south front and one-window 2-storey
link to original house, and lower 3-storey range running north with
2-storey canted bay at left end. Between 2 sections is 2-storey
projection with Venetian opening to each floor and balustrade. To
right glazed porch with Roman Doric columns. Rear north service
ranges part enveloping a squared rubble stone range, originally 2-
storey 3-3-3 windows with raised quoins and sashes, possibly late
C18 or early C19, centre and left with later third storey added.
Interiors are all either mid C19 or late C19 with mid C19 two-
storey stair hall behind original range, late C19 library with fine
bookcases at south-east angle and former dining-room at north-east
angle with, probably mid C19, Jacobean-style pilasters. Throughout
the house are very fine late C18 marble fireplaces notably in
stair-hall, dining-room, library, one room on west front and
possibly also in south side former picture gallery (fireplace now
boxed in). On first floor similar fireplaces in 5 rooms.
Estate belonged to Goddard family in C17 and C18, Lady James was
heiress of E. Goddard. Poynder family of Hilmarton bought it
c1855. Sold by Sir J.D. Poynder, 1st Lord Islington, c1920.


Listing NGR: ST8609872027

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.