This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2961 / 51°17'46"N
Longitude: -2.2345 / 2°14'4"W
OS Eastings: 383747
OS Northings: 155249
OS Grid: ST837552
Mapcode National: GBR 1SY.RVV
Mapcode Global: VH972.7P27
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 14 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314604
Location: Southwick, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Southwick
Built-Up Area: Southwick (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: North Bradley, Southwick and Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 85 NW SOUTHWICK FROME ROAD
6/158 Church of St Thomas
Anglican parish church. 1899-1904 by C.E. Ponting. Rock-faced
limestone, tiled roof. Plan: north west tower, aisleless nave,
chancel with north organ chamber, south west vestry. Free gothic.
Multi-chamfered pointed doorway on west side of 2-stage tower,
image niche over, north side has 2 cusped lancets within pointed
panel, pair of arrowloops over, offset bellstage has pair of large
louvred lancets to each side, moulded string course with gargoyles
to parapet with corner turrets, oak-shingled fleche, 1903 dated
foundation stone on north west corner. North side of nave has two
3-light mullioned windows with cusped ogee lights to right, gable
to left with two 2-light plate tracery windows, projection for
organ chamber to left has battered corners, arrow loops. Chancel
has gableted buttresses, one cusped lancet to north side, 4-light
free gothic east window, south side has three cusped lancets.
South side of nave has three 2-light mullioned windows with cusped
ogee lights, gable with two 2-light plate tracery windows to right,
large ashlar gableted buttress to east corner.
Interior: Groin-vaulted porch at base of tower with circular bell
opening. Nave has 5-bay roof with deep arch-braced collar trusses,
exposed rafters, rendered walls. Double chamfered chancel arch
with Arts and Crafts open traceried wooden screen, chancel has
barrel-vaulted ceiling with ribbed panels, piscina set into south
east windowsill, organ chamber on north side. Fittings: octagonal
limestone font with C17-style strapwork cover, said to be from
Chilton Foliat. Plain polygonal wooden pulpit. Good unsigned
stained glass in east window. Immersion baptistry at west end.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8374755249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings