History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Melksham United Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Melksham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3723 / 51°22'20"N

Longitude: -2.1378 / 2°8'16"W

OS Eastings: 390501

OS Northings: 163698

OS Grid: ST905636

Mapcode National: GBR 1S4.SDC

Mapcode Global: VH96Q.WRPW

Entry Name: Melksham United Church

Listing Date: 13 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314319

Location: Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Melksham

Built-Up Area: Melksham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Melksham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Melksham

Listing Text

ST 9063 MELKSHAM HIGH STREET
(east side)

7/102 Melksham United Church


II

Methodist Chapel, now United Reform Church. 1872, by Wilson,
Willcox and Wilson of Bath. Rock-faced, Welsh slate roof.
Imposing 2-storey, 3-window front. Blind portico has 4 giant
Corinthian columns on large pedestals with modillioned pediment and
cornice with oculus. Pair of 6-panelled doors with moulded
architraves, bay-leaft pulvinated friezes and segmental pediments
with decorated carved tympanums. To either side are pilasters with
Corinthian capitals. Three first floor windows are round-arched
sashes in shouldered architraves. Modillioned cornice with
balustraded parapet and stone urn finials to corners. Right and
left returns have four tall round-arched sashes in chamfered cases,
separated by pilasters.
Interior is plain with gallery over vestibule at west end only,
east end has plain preaching boxes and railed enclosure, in front
of round arch with hood mould and carved foliage terminals
containing organ. To rear is attached church room of no special
interest. Founded as The Methodist Chapel. (V.C.H., Wiltshire Vol
7 p. 168, 1953.) Unpublished material of J. Orbach.


Listing NGR: ST9050163698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.