This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3839 / 51°23'2"N
Longitude: -2.1563 / 2°9'22"W
OS Eastings: 389216
OS Northings: 164994
OS Grid: ST892649
Mapcode National: GBR 1S3.1NR
Mapcode Global: VH96Q.KGWY
Entry Name: Shaw House
Listing Date: 13 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314367
Location: Melksham Without, Wiltshire, SN12
Civil Parish: Melksham Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Shaw and Whitley
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 86 NE & MELKSHAM WITHOUT BATH ROAD
ST 86 SE
1/150 & 3/150 Shaw House
Large house, now old people's home. 1711 with additions c1840.
For Thomas Smith. Ashlar front with stone slate hipped roof, side
wings and rear are rubblestone with stone slate or Welsh slate
roofs and ashlar stacks. Classical style. 2 storeys and attic.
2:3:2 window front; centre breaks forward. Central 6-panelled
fielded door has moulded architrave and segmental pediment. 12-
pane sashes have moulded architraves. String course to first
floor, modillioned cornice and central pediment with oval wreathed
oculus. Parapet with balustrade. 2 dormers to roof. To left is
2 storey, 4 windowed wing of c1840. Sashes with architraves, door
to right has broken pediment and is same as door to left of rear.
String course and cornice. Ashlar end gable has French window and
Dutch gable with oculus and urn finials to parapet. Decorated
lead rainwater heads. Garden front to rear of main block has 7
window flat facade and central door with pediment. Wing to right
of front is possibly late C17 house remodelled in C18; 2 storeys
with attic. 5 windows are 2-light beaded mullions to first floor.
3 doors and cross windows between are separate service quarters.
String course. Steeply pitched roof has coped verges and
saddlestones. Rear of this wing has beaded 2-light mullions and
one 2-light ovolo mullioned window. C20 extension to rear of
service wing not included.
Interior: entrance hall has bolection moulded fireplace and
fielded panelling. Open tread stairs have barley-sugar turned
balusters. Library with fielded panelling. 1840's drawing room
has moulded plaster cornice, rosette and wall panels. The house
was used as a school in early C19. It occupies a prominent
position at the end of a straight tree-lined avenue.
V.C.H. Wiltshire, Vol. 7, 1953.
Listing NGR: ST8921664994
Other nearby listed buildings