This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3231 / 51°19'23"N
Longitude: -2.2111 / 2°12'39"W
OS Eastings: 385387
OS Northings: 158241
OS Grid: ST853582
Mapcode National: GBR 1SL.ZSF
Mapcode Global: VH972.M0GK
Entry Name: Conigre Parsonage
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313939
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(formerly listed as
ST 8558 4/13 29.12.50.
Circa 1700. Built probably for the Moultons, wealthy clothiers and given 1731
to the use of the Minister of Conigre (Non-Conformist) Church. Large 'L' shape
building, 2 storeys, 5 by 5 windows facing south and west.
South front: stucco on moulded plinth. Moulded cornice mitred over chamfered
quoins, Pantile roof half hipped to right and hipped to left. 3 dormers. Plain
painted stone surrounds to glazing bar sash windows. 6-panel central door with
rectangular fanlight of semi-circular and radiating pattern in doorcase of Doric
pilasters, scroll brackets, small cornice and segmental pediment. Cornice broken
forward over brackets. Doorway flanked by narrow windows.
West front: brick on similar plinth, with stone band at 1st floor level. 5 cross
windows in flush stone surrounds having reeded inner edges, the right hand windows
blocked. Tall central door,plain rectangular fanlight, in stone surround of pilasters
and flat moulded hood on cut scroll brackets. Gable to chimney stack at rear.
The listed buildings on the north side of the Conigre form a group with West Croft
and Nos 1 and 2 Waldron's Square in British Row.
Listing NGR: ST8538758241
Other nearby listed buildings