History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

73 and 75, St Marys Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2482 / 51°14'53"N

Longitude: -2.2168 / 2°13'0"W

OS Eastings: 384964

OS Northings: 149913

OS Grid: ST849499

Mapcode National: GBR 1TK.QCJ

Mapcode Global: VH978.JWFJ

Entry Name: 73 and 75, St Marys Lane

Listing Date: 5 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313761

Location: Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire, BA13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Dilton Marsh

Built-Up Area: Westbury (Wiltshire)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Dilton Marsh

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Dilton

Listing Text

TQ 12 SW SHIPLEY SHIPLEY VILLAGE

965/15/463 King's Windmill

22.9.59 II*


Smock mill and engine house. Mill of 1879 for Mr Friend Marten by Grist and Steel, millwrights of Horsham, engine house of 1880. Corn mill of four storeys has octagonal "roundhouse" of tarred weather-boarding. Platform above this supported on diagonal struts. Upper storeys faced with weather- boarding. Pointed hexagonal cap with ball finial. Sweeps and fantail intact. Attached engine house of one storey corrugated iron on wooden frame with partially gabled and partially hipped corrugated iron roof and casement windows. Steam engine no longer present but water pump survives. Good example of a smock mill in working order and the most recent and biggest windmill in Sussex. The engine house has always been an integral part of the mill and its history and was built within months of the completion of the windmill in 1880. There are two inscriptions over a window on the second floor of the mill: "Engine started January 6th 1880" and "First day new engine October 20th 1880". The steam engine was important to the operation of the mill as the location was not ideal for catching the wind. The mill was bought in 1906 by the author Hilaire Belloc, who owned it until his death in 1953. The mill was worked until
1926 when the engine was disposed of.

Listing NGR: ST8496449913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.