This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2847 / 51°17'5"N
Longitude: -2.0694 / 2°4'9"W
OS Eastings: 395258
OS Northings: 153956
OS Grid: ST952539
Mapcode National: GBR 2VP.KLN
Mapcode Global: VHB4M.2ZV0
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas a Becket
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313770
Location: Coulston, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Coulston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Coulston St Thomas of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
EAST COULSTON EAST COULSTON VILLAGE
ST 95 SE
6/132 Church of St Thomas
Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C17, restored 1868 by Richard
Gane of Trowbridge. Rubble stone and brick, Welsh slate roof.
Nave with west doorway, north vestry, north transept and chancel.
West end of nave has C19 Tudor-arched doorway with double doors,
string course over to 3-light mullioned and transomed window,
probably C17, brick gable above, diagonal buttresses. Single bell
hung on west gable with gabled canopy over. South side of nave
has blocked C12 doorway with crocketed capitals and missing shafts,
blank tympanum and roll-moulded round arch, buttresses with offsets
either side, 2-light C19 mullioned casement to right. Chancel
with lower roofline has two C19 geometric-style windows with
hoodmoulds, 3-light C19 geometric east window, coped verge with
cross finial, north side has one C19 two-light geometric window,
blocked pointed opening. C14 north vestry has square-headed light
to east, reset cusped window head, diagonal buttresses to north
with 3-light C19 mullioned casement in larger, partly blocked
opening. Small gable vestry to right has 2-light recessed
chamfered mullioned casement and diagonal buttress.
Interior: Nave has C19 2 1/2 bay roof on stone corbels, strengthened
1935, stone floors. Pointed late Medieval doorway to C19 vestry,
possibly former entrance. North transept with wide continuously
chamfered pointed arch, with traces of painted decoration on east
jamb, plastered barrel vaulted ceiling, roll-moulded pointed
piscina on south wall. C19 chancel arch with attached shafts and
keel moulding, set in C19 wall with quatrefoil decoration, C19
chancel roof partly concealed behind inserted boarded ceiling,
roll-moulded pointed piscina on south wall retained, 1728 marble
floor. Fittings: 1860s stained glass in east window, brass
plaque by south window of chancel records 1868 restoration. Pews
from Colerne, Church of St John the Baptist. C12 cylindrical
stone font with simple blind arcading. Grey and white marble wall
tablet with segmental pediment on north wall of chancel to Jacobus
(sic) Meredith died 1746, brass on floor to James Meredith, rector
died 1712. Brasses on south wall of nave to Elizabeth Godolphin
died 1667 and to Thomas Lambe died 1741. A south transept was
removed in 1842.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST9525853956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings