History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherrington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1524 / 51°9'8"N

Longitude: -2.0576 / 2°3'27"W

OS Eastings: 396064

OS Northings: 139240

OS Grid: ST960392

Mapcode National: GBR 2X8.NM6

Mapcode Global: VHB5D.992D

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Last Amended: 11 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313569

Location: Sherrington, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sherrington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sherrington St Cosmo and St Damian

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Heytesbury

Listing Text

SHERRINGTON CHURCH LANE
ST 93 NE
(north side)
7/96 The Old Rectory (formerly listed
as Rectory)
11.9.68
GV II
Rectory, now detached house. Late C17, extended and altered early
C19. Dressed limestone front, English garden wall bond brick wing,
thatched roof with gable end stone and brick stacks. South range
with rear wings. Two-storey and attic, 5-window. Half-glazed
central door in former window, three 2-light recessed chamfered
mullioned casements to right and two to left. Moulded string
course over lintels, first floor has five mullioned casements,
grouped two to left and three to right. Three C20 attic dormers to
roof. Right return has large external stone stack with offsets.
Present entrance now in early C19 wing to right return; door with
6 fielded panels and fanlight with 12-pane tripartite sash to
right, two 12-pane sashes to first floor. Rear brick wings with
sashes or casements. Early C19 wing probably by J. Prangley of
Warminster, 1826.
Interior has deeply chamfered compartmental ceiling beams, Tudor-
arched stone fireplaces. Early C19 drawing room with 6-panelled
door and marble fireplace.
(WRO - Diocesan Records)


Listing NGR: ST9606439240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.