History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Assumption and St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1616 / 51°9'41"N

Longitude: -2.1903 / 2°11'25"W

OS Eastings: 386787

OS Northings: 140275

OS Grid: ST867402

Mapcode National: GBR 1VR.51P

Mapcode Global: VH97V.Z2FC

Entry Name: Church of the Assumption and St Mary

Listing Date: 6 September 1982

Last Amended: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364334

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313410

Location: Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Longbridge Deverill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Monkton Deverill

Listing Text

ST 84 SE LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL HILL DEVERILL
(east side)
Church of The Assumption and St Mary
3/189 (formerly listed as the Church of the
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary)
6.9.82

GV II

Anglican parish church, now redundant. 1843 rebuilding by Chapman
and Sons. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof, ashlar bellcote.
Plan: nave, chancel, west entrance and bellcote. Pre-
archaeololgical Gothic style. West end has pointed chamfered
doorway with planked door and hoodmould, lancet over with
hoodmould, diagonal butresses, coped verge. Gabled bellcote with
one pointed opening. South side of nave has three chamfered
pointed windows with hoodmoulds chancel has two pointed windows
with hoodmoulds, butresses with offsets. East end has diagonal
butresses and pointed window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. North
side has similar windows as south; all windows diamond-leaded.
Dentilled eaves cornices, coped verges with kneelers and cross
finials. Interior has 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel; plain chamfered pointed
chancel arch. Vestibule and stairs to gallery at west end. Plain
plastered walls, tie-beam trusses. All fittings removed since
church made redundant in 1980's, including Ludlow C16 chest tomb now
in Bath chapel at Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Street
(q.v.). Some wall tablets retained at time of survey (June 1985);
in chancel an oval tablet with carved drapery and crest to Rachel
Coker died 1699 and a classical marble tablet with urn to William
Morse died 1793, Gothic-style tablet to Mary Clifford died 1793, in
nave. Acquired for conversion to dwelling, June 1985. (N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).


Listing NGR: ST8678740275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.