History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horningsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1717 / 51°10'18"N

Longitude: -2.2579 / 2°15'28"W

OS Eastings: 382066

OS Northings: 141414

OS Grid: ST820414

Mapcode National: GBR 0T4.KZ3

Mapcode Global: VH97M.TT65

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313332

Location: Horningsham, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Horningsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Horningsham

Listing Text

HORNINGSHAM CHURCH LANE
ST 84 SW
(east side)
2/111 Church of St. John the Baptist
11.9.68

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt 1844 by T.H.
Wyatt and D. Brandon. Dressed limestone, tiled roof. Plan: nave
and aisles, chancel with south chapel and north organ chamber,
north porch, south-west tower over entrance. C15 north-west 3-
stage tower has diagonal buttresses, double-chamfered Tudor-arched
west doorway with C19 double doors with ornamental hinges and
hoodmould, restored 3-light Perpendicular window over, offset
bellstage has 2-light Perpendicular windows with decorative pierced
louvres, moulded string course with carved grotesque animals to
battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. South aisle
has four 2-light Perpendicular-style windows and cusped lancet to
left, moulded eaves cornice to pitched roof. South chapel has two
ogee cusped lancets, 2-light Perpendicular window to east, diagonal
buttresses. Presbytery has Tudor-arched south doorway and ogee
lancet, east end has 3-light Perpendicular window with ogee
tracery, north side has two ogee lancets, blocking course with
gothic lettering inscriptions to both sides. North aisle has four
2-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, central gabled porch
with moulded pointed doorway with double doors with ornamental
hinges, coped verge with quatrefoil and lamb. West end has 2-light
Perpendicular window to north aisle, three small cusped lancets and
large 2-light Perpendicular-style window to nave. Octagonal stair
turret with battlemented parapet to north side of tower.
Interior: Entrance in tower has carved ribbed ceiling with rosette
bosses, Tudor-style screen to south aisle. Plain ashlar walls,
tiled floors to unusually broad open interior. Seven-bay nave;
west bay partitioned by ashlar wall with pointed doorway and
painted inscription frieze, carved stone Royal Arms. Good hammer
beam nave roof with carved spandrels. Six-bay north and south
arcades on slender compound columns with foliated capitals and
pointed arches. Very tall wide hollow and roll-moulded chancel
arch with compound pilasters;- chancel same width as nave with fine
4-bay hammer beam roof with carved angels on hammer beams. Two
pointed arches to south chapel and north organ chamber and vestry
with traceried screens, painted biblical inscriptions on friezes,
polychrome tiled floor, some Medieval tiles in presbytery.
Fittings: stone traceried reredos, good brass candelabras,
cylindrical stone pulpit with traceried panels, octagonal stone
font at west end, good quality pews. East window has fine
pictorial stained glass depicting The Crucifixion, 1860s glass in
south chapel and west window. Tablets from earlier church in
vestry: classical marble to Thomas Davis died 1807 by H.
Westmacott and to William Crumbleholme died 1828 by Chapman of
Frome, 1727 stone baroque tablet with illegible inscription.
Rebuilding cost £5100 paid for by Dowager Marchioness of Bath. (N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)


Listing NGR: ST8205941413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.